As most of you know already, I’m not too keen on lots of glass and cutains. The Sovereign is particularly bad in this regard (IMHO)–acres of trailer, yet hardly any wall space. As an experiment, I decided to take out one of the large windows. Just to be on the safe side, I decided to retain the frame and hardware, in case I decided to reinstall the glass window. This also meant no modification of the frame, which added a lot of complexity to the task of attaching the new panel.
OK, so if you wanted to just replace the glass part, you’d have to build something with a fairly thick edge to mimic the glass frame, and build it to fit the curve. Holy cow, this was a lot of parts, in three layers (counting the skin).
As it turns out, the shell has a tighter radius at the top part of the window, compared to the bottom. I built the new piece to follow the changing curve, but at a slightly larger radius. This would allow me to attach the new piece at the top and bottom only, and the difference in radius would cause the front and aft edges to pull tight to the frame. This also allowed me to get a tight fit using only three screws in the bottom edge and three in the top. By chance, the head of a #8 sheet metal screw is about the same size as the head of a universal 5/32 rivet.
I’ll fill the cavity with fiberglass and then patch over the inside opening with a panel the same size as a window screen frame. The final appearance is, well, ugh. Don’t know. I’ll live with it and see how I like it in a year. I can always go back.
I have an objective to get the absurdly huge amount of glass down to something reasonable, get some wall space for ARTSTREAM’s art, and to retain the original frame (without modification) so that the window can be reinstalled by a future owner. The other issue, of course, is if you hang a TV on the side of the fridge, the glare from an adjacent window is eliminated. This weeked I finally got a ROUND TUIT and finished the job.
The slot for the window arms prevents any rivets in that area, so the interior skin needed ribs to conform to the shell curve and prevent gaposis at the edge.
I like the installation except that any small dimple at the edge is amplified by reflection. I may have to consider painting all these interior window skins to match the interior skin as closely as possible.