Rolling Wine Drawer

The last two major items to complete the new cabinets are the wine and dish storage. The wine goes in one of the slots under the new front end bed, the dishes go under the sink. The bed is low-if it were an inch or so higher I could have gotten three rows of bottles in the wine cart, but as it is, it’s enough. (I think 16 bottles will get us through the first pot luck at the Burn.) I used four 2″ wheels tucked up in structural recesses at the corners, so it rolls straight and easily. Now I’ve just got to figure out how to restrain it when it’s parked under the bed.

Click image for larger version</p><br />
<p>Name:	IMG_8958 wine rack-s.jpg<br /><br />
Views:	44<br /><br />
Size:	136.7 KB<br /><br />
ID:	77734
Click image for larger version</p><br />
<p>Name:	IMG_8959 wine cart-s.jpg<br /><br />
Views:	45<br /><br />
Size:	150.1 KB<br /><br />
ID:	77735

The dish drawer has the small items in the rear, to allow room for the sink and the drain pipe above.

Click image for larger version</p><br />
<p>Name:	IMG_8961 dish drawer-s.jpg<br /><br />
Views:	46<br /><br />
Size:	132.9 KB<br /><br />
ID:	77736

The interior partitions in both of these are removable so they can be reconfigured, if necessary. The just slip-fit in.

—————–

The wine rack was harder. It fits into the well under the bed with only 1/4″ to spare on the sides and no real access to the space from the front. I couldn’t find any kind of lock that would do, not even the magnetically actuated kid locks. Eureka! Magnets! I made a hinged fixture that would swing a vertical bar into the side of the wine rack. It’s held out of the way by a magnet on the side wall, and it’s also held in place by a magnet on the wine rack. A short length of coat hangar wire is used to flip it from one stable position to the other. The wire sticks out just under the extended edge of the bed/couch
platform.

Click image for larger version</p><br />
<p>Name:	IMG_9007 wine lock-s.jpg<br /><br />
Views:	37<br /><br />
Size:	96.4 KB<br /><br />
ID:	79076
Click image for larger version</p><br />
<p>Name:	IMG_9008 lock engaged-s.jpg<br /><br />
Views:	41<br /><br />
Size:	114.8 KB<br /><br />
ID:	79077

The engagement edge fits into a vertical slot in the side wall of the wine rack, totally locking the rack in place. The bend in the lock allows the engagement edge to fit at a 90 degree angle into the slot on the wine rack. The wing-looking piece on the lock fixture was eventually cut down. It was in place because I had no idea what the magnet forces would be, especially when the wire push-rod only had about 5/8″ of arm from the hinge. I thought perhaps I’d have to move the rod out a few inches in order to overcome the forces, but in fact the movement of the lock from either position to the other requires quite moderate forces even with a very short arm.

The drawers, as it turned out, were simple. There is 1/2″ of clearance on each side, due to the drawer glides. A piece of 1/2″ “L” extrusion was riveted with one rivet to the side wall, which allowes it to swing from vertical (the position that stops the drawer) to horizontal (which allows the drawer to be removed). A second piece of extrusion, which also swings, either locks the first one or swings out of the way so the first one can then be moved. This allows the drawer to be restrained (can’t quite get to the end of the drawer rail, should the magnets not be able to hold it back), but still allows it to be removed without having to unfasten anything.